Winning Is In Our DNA

Headshot of attorneys Frederick Evans Schmidt and R. Joshua Koch Jr.

Winning Is In Our DNA

Headshot of attorneys Frederick Evans Schmidt and R. Joshua Koch Jr.

What to Do After a Maritime Injury

Maritime Laws That May Apply to Your Case

Before reviewing the steps to take after a maritime injury, it’s important to understand the laws that may apply to your case. Maritime laws are designed to help injured maritime workers obtain compensation for their injuries. Although there are many maritime laws, the primary ones that apply to injury cases include:

The Jones Act – The Jones Act is a federal law that permits a maritime industry employee to  file a lawsuit against an offshore employer for injuries caused by the negligence of the employer or a co-worker.

The Longshoremen and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act  – The Longshoremen and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act protects land-based maritime industry employees who are injured while working on a bridge, pier, or harbor.

Steps to Take After a Maritime Injury

Seek Medical Care – Following any type of maritime accident, the first thing you should do is seek medical care. And this applies even if you believe you aren’t injured or your injury is minor. Some injuries take several days to appear, and others can result in serious secondary health problems. In addition, by seeking medical care after an accident, records are created that will be helpful in your case.

File a Report – It’s important to file a report with your employer after your accident. This puts your employer on notice that you’ve been injured, and it creates additional records that will be useful in proving your case.

Get a Second Opinion – If the only medical professional who evaluates you after your maritime accident is part of your employer’s staff, you need to get a second opinion. Obviously, if you are injured on the job, it is in your employer’s best interest to minimize your injuries, so an independent analysis by a neutral medical professional is necessary to ensure that you are properly compensated for your injury.

Call a Lawyer – If you’ve been injured in a maritime industry accident, you need an experienced maritime attorney on your side. At Koch & Schmidt, our Louisiana and Gulf of Mexico admiralty and maritime lawyers have a well-earned reputation for providing our clients with powerful representation when they need it most. If you are an injured maritime worker, such as a seaman, longshoreman, oil rig worker, or cruise ship employee, we can help you obtain the compensation and benefits you deserve. Please contact us today for a free evaluation of your case.