R. Joshua Koch Jr.
- Admiralty & Maritime
- Commercial Litigation
- Personal Injury
- General Corporate Practice
Josh is a highly skilled attorney with over thirty years of litigation experience. In recognition of his trial skills, Josh was invited to join the faculty of the National Institute for Trial Advocacy, the faculty of Loyola University College of Law's Trial Advocacy Program and the faculty of Tulane University School of Law Trial Advocacy Program. He has been given the prestigious "AV" rating by the Martindale Hubbel, its highest rating, and has been selected by his peers as a "Superlawyer" in the area of maritime law.
Josh's passion for admiralty and maritime law began when he worked the docks as a longshoreman and subsequently offshore as a roustabout in the oilfields of the Gulf of Mexico.
Since graduating from law school in 1978, Josh has continuously practiced in the area of maritime law and commercial law, representing diverse clients within the maritime and oil gas offshore service industries. These clients include public and private companies, international and domestic vessel owners, oil and gas service companies, maritime insurers, river pilots, crew members, divers and other offshore personnel.
Josh has also served as general counsel to a publicly traded offshore oil and gas service company as well as "outside" general counsel for smaller, private companies.
In addition to the active practice of law, Josh has lectured on maritime law and served as a contributing editor to a local maritime publication.
- Tulane Law School, New Orleans, Louisiana
- J.D. - 1978
- University of Oklahoma
- B.B.A. - 1975
- Louisiana, 1978
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1978
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Louisiana, 1978
- U.S. District Court Western District of Louisiana, 1978
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Louisiana, 1978
- Texas, 1993
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2017
- Louisiana Bar Association
- New Orleans Bar Association
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- Southeastern Admiralty Law Association
- Tulane University Law School Trial Skills Faculty
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy
- Association of Diving Contractors, member, Present
Current Employment Position
- Superior Offshore International, Inc., General Counsel and Senior V.P., 2006 to 2008
- Spyridon, Koch, Palermo and Dornan, LLC, Partner, 1995 to 2005
- Hoffman, Sutterfield and Ensenat, Partner, 1982 to 1994
- Terriberry, Caroll, Yancey and Farrell, Associate attorney, 1978 to 1981
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.